Sunday 29 June 2008

Recording quality for interviews

As a sound engineer one of my greatest frustrations is when people record live interviews and fail to pay attention to getting good sound levels for the interview. I listened recently to an NLP trainer's attempt to record interviews with other trainers and they had paid no attention to how the interview was recorded. The result was that one voice was massivly louder than the other and almost unlistenable!
If the interview is not live and on the phone then these are mitigating circumstances and fair enough. Recording over the phone is a real pain as this is not a great medium for audio quality. These days I use a Sony PCM D50 for interviews, which is thesame device I use for my private practice (see http://www.nickkemp.com/) This device is a cut down version of the original king of recording devices, the Sony PCM D1, which is not an inexpensive item, but stunning sound quality, originally designed by Sony for the CIA!

No comments: