Friday 22 August 2008

Geniuses in NLP, how many could there be?

While surfing the net in recent times I couldn't help but noticed how on many NLP and Hypnosis sites, individuals are increasingly described as geniuses! On one site I saw a list of interviews where all the interviewees were geniuses!

In Webster's dictionary a "genius" is defined as

"extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity c: a person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; especially : a person with a very high IQ"

On checking the alledged "geniuses" on the sites I found it somewhat difficult to think of many these people as posessing "transcendant mental superiority" and in some cases even "mental superiority"

In an era of hype in marketing it seems more and more commonplace that people give themselves ever grander titles and describe themselves in more grandiose ways. I have met some very smart people in the world of NLP, in business and in the Arts, but I struggle to properly describe many as geniuses. It reminds me of a comment I once heard in a workshop years ago when a trainer commented

"I have told you a million times not to exagerate!"

No comments: