Wednesday 6 August 2008

Running NLP events and training styles

I first heard about NLP in the early 1990s and my first training was with Richard Bandler, Michael Breen and Paul McKenna. This was a rock and roll 7 day training and to my amazement there were over 350+ attendees! In the hay day of the Paul McKenna London trainings, there were up to 600 attendees on some of the events with an assisting team of 50+. Between 2000 and 2003 I assisted on many events and this was very helpful in formulating my own trainings and especially with figuring out the best formats for learning. To date I have taught NLP introduction, Practitioner and Master Practitioner events, all in a modular format, which in my experience gives people the best opportunity to integrate skills.

I have also seen literally thousands of people on both my own and other's courses which has give me an excellent insight into what works best in terms of sequencing information. I have also mentioned in recent times my lament about the increasing hype in NLP marketing which IMO does very little to promote the credibility of NLP n the public domain.

One of the main bones of contention between NLP schools is the insistance that NLP certificated courses MUST be of a certain duration. I remember seeing one website that had a vitriolic attack on accelerated NLP events and
seemed to run its own training like an out of bounds course, each to their own! Last year an enquirer toone of my own events had just attended a very well know USA style NLP event where she literally sat behind a desk for the first 4 days listening to a presenter repeat exactly what she had already listened to one the 20 CD preparation pack. She commented that the delegates only completed one exercise a day and she was bored to tears by the presenter's style!

No comments: